perjantai 10. toukokuuta 2013

Tools of the trade

TOOLS OF THE TRADE

"Creating cocktails is like an artisan at work;
Where poor tools shackle you, proper ones open the world for you."
- Celestino

All this time when I've created cocktails for your entertainment (and perhaps inspiration) you've only seen the result of the finished product. But this time I would take the time and show you the tools of my trade. Some of them are a must acquisition and some are more rarely used. Nonetheless, every tool plays an important role when its time comes. One should never neglect one piece of equipment just because one hasn't used it in a long time.

Anyhow, let's have a better look at these:


Starting from the left:
  • a fine strainer.
  • the Boston/3-piece-shaker
  • the liquor measures
  • a lime presser
  • hawthorne strainer
  • a zest grater
  • a saw-edged knife
  • a channel knife
  • another saw-edged knife, sharp edge
  • a bar spoon
  • a peeler
  • a liquor pourer


and my newest collection from England


Starting from the left:
  • a drop bottle
  • UK liquor measures
  • a melon baller
  • a julep strainer
  • a fine strainer
  • a microplane
  • (missing from this picture is another Finnish 4 cl CE-certified liquor measure, given by my dear friends!)
The drop bottles I can use for dashes/tiny amounts of bitters/equivalent measures of liquids. The melon baller makes perfect...well, balls from fruit I can use for decorations, the julep strainer is my newest catch from UK. For straining cocktails that have only spirits, this is the tool. Another fine strainer for double straining and a big thanks to my friends in the UK who gave me a microplane. Finally I can grate nutmegs straight onto the cocktail without using the massive shredder I have!



The jiggers or spirit measures. In this picture the far most left is a "foreign" measure, counting 1 3/4 fluid ounces and 7/8 fluid ounces (I got this from South Africa). The rest three are standard Finnish ones, with 20ml and 40ml centiliters (half and single). The UK measures in the previous pictures go at 25ml and 50ml (for single and double)


The Boston shaker (left) and the 3-piece-shaker (right). The 3-piece-one is more user-friendly to begin with but with the Boston Shaker I've become better friends. Especially when pouring liquids in the glass part (not having any ice in it) I can see what I'm doing whereas with the other one it's all hidden inside the tin.

The 3-piece-shaker has an in-built strainer whereas with the Boston shaker you need a separate strainer. What baffles many people with the Boston one is how to open the shaker after shaking it? Since the metal (and due to thermodynamics) freezes itself to the glass part. It's really simple once you learn it. Below is a picture of the shaker. See that little gap where the glass part starts to open up? You only need a gentle tap to that part and the shaker will open.


Let's continue...


The strainer is one of the more useful tools. Everytime I double strain, I use one of these babies. That way I ensure no little ice shards reach the cocktail, making the drink smooth as fu*k. The lime presser is a very handy device to squeeze the juice of half a lime in no time. Due to its small-ish size, only limes can be used.


Here is the other cocktail strainer, the Hawthorne strainer. Used for most cocktails where the rim stops the ice cubes for falling in the drink + most of the pulp of fruits (if any). Underneath it is one of my babies. The item I value. Introducing the cocktail spoon. I got this from a cocktail bar that was active some years ago. The swizzling motive on the shaft enables stirring of the spoon with great ease when creating cocktails that need...well, stirring. The "hammer" end is for muddling various items such as limes/sugar/mint leaves etc. 


Here are my "decorative" tools. The channel knife makes proper twists, the two saw-edged ones cut fruit like there's no tomorrow, the peeler for fruit peels and the small grater for those that little zest grating that might be needed. Given, that is one of my more rarely used items.

Like any artisan, I've spent quite a time gathering my tools. And they have served me well. Well, indeed! I know I'm stilling missing a proper mixing glass but I will get that some day, promised!

With the help of these tools I can create magnificent, marvelous and otherwise amazing cocktails.

What do you think? Am I missing something crucial from my repertoire? Let me know and I will get back to you!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti