sunnuntai 28. heinäkuuta 2013

The herbal-liqueur blind tasting

THE BLIND TASTING


And now for something completely different.

I decided to make a herbal-liqueur blind tasting and have five of my friends attend to it. To see whether they make similar notes of a tasted liqueurs...and for fun, most of all. Unfortunately I had to recuse myself from this event for reasons explained later on so I worked out the paper work. Nonetheless, I had three different herbal liqueurs at my disposal:
  1. Unicum Zwack, from Hungary
  2. Jägermeister, from Germany
  3. Killepitsch, also from Germany (a local product from Düsseldorf)
I later realized that this tasting could've-should've had Underberg and Fernet Branca as well. Excluding the Killepitsch, the rest are well-known across the globe. But this sufficed well. 

I figured out how to maximize the most "realistic" results:
  1. The subjects tasted these liqueurs by themselves (to minimize the influence of others' opinions) whereas I wrote down whatever they said
  2. The subjects never saw any of the bottles used (to minimize the influence and associations of the bottle/label)
  3. Only 1-2 cl (roughly ½ fl. oz.) / liqueur
  4. The order for each subject was random (this probably had less/no meaning after all)
  5. The subjects were to review smell and taste
  6. The subjects gave points to each liqueur from 0-100
Before each tasting, I told my friend(s), that this was no competition, they didn't need to guess which was what and that they try to be as open as possible. I would write down everything and later compile a spreadsheet of the results. There are no right or wrongs nor any winners here. This blind tasting is for purely entertaining purposes and heck, maybe we discover something extraordinary from these samples!

Oh and I mentioned earlier I couldn't take part in this. The reason: Because I should have done this experiment first. I only realized after my first friend did the tasting that his opinions subconsciously (would) affect mine as well. Next time I do something like this I have to remember to first do it myself before letting my friends taste anything, this way the results are not affected by others.

So after I had my five sheets of results, I started compiling them together...and here are the results! 
(sorry about the picture stretching so far right, but otherwise you can't read sh*t! :) )


Killepitsch won and one thing that was actually pretty astonishing is that Jägermeister was reviewed the worst! To think of it, in the end were we really that surprised? Jägermeister to herbal-liqueurs is like Smirnoff to vodkas, Jack Daniels to whiskeys, Bacardi to rums or J.P. Chenet to wines; they're well branded and better known but when it comes down to "quality", they just might not cut it in the big boys' league. Don't get me wrong, I, for instance like Jäger but Killepitsch is better. Bacardi rum is great for mixing and Jack Daniels does work good with cola, but yeah, there are many better bourbons or wines than JD or Chenet. Personal preference, people...personal preference. If you enjoy your JD on the rocks, who am I to judge?

The psychology behind this experiment (or blind tasting in general) is very interesting. Although I only had three products and five tasters, reading the sheet gives us valuable information. But one point I have to highlight to you. Two of my friends noticed cardamom from Unicum Zwack. I found this extremely satisfying. Also, Killepitsch was clearly the sweetest of them all (4 out of 5 tasters) and Jägermeister was considered very alcoholic-like.

All in all, this blind tasting experiment was a great success and I would like to do it again, with different products of course.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti