keskiviikko 18. joulukuuta 2013

The cognac brand tasting, part I


THE COGNAC BRAND TASTING
PART I

random picture from the interwubs


Greetings again. This post I consider an "intro" to something that will happen perhaps (hopefully) during February, 2014. It's the continuum to my previous tastings (I've grown so fond of these!), namely the vodka blind tasting and the herbal liqueur blind tasting. It's the cognac (known brand) tasting.

What this means is that instead of doing the usual blind tasting like I did before (no bottles shown, one person at a time and so forth), I'll invite a small group friends over to my place, we'll taste four different cognacs and people actually see what they're tasting. Moreover, I'll find out some known facts/information from the brands being tasted so we can later discuss them. I will act as the master of ceremonies and also make something small to nibble on (I've been thinking of chocolate truffles among others since we're dealing with cognacs here) and finally I'll make one cognac based cocktail to each guest. We'll take notes (like before) and of course I'll compile them to everyone to see later on.

As the cherry on top of the cake I have ~20 cognac glasses I got from my work place (they are not in use there anymore) so after the tasting each guest can have a set of four of these glasses to take home with them! It's a total win-win situation!

So in our first tasting we had herbal liqueurs (albeit just a tiny sample). In the second tasting we had vodkas. Now we're dealing with cognacs. Taking a sneak&peek at my bar cabinet I noticed the my VSOP collection consists of:

  • Baron Otard
  • Courvoisier
  • Hennessy
  • Meukow
  • Rémy Martin
Out of these five I can only choose four...which end up in the tasting (to be honest, which one will be left out would be more correctly said), that is still left to see.

Personally, I don't have too many expectations how this'll turn out think this'll turn out amazing and astonishing and marvelous in every aspect known to man! Really, it might be a challenging tasting since different cognacs might taste all the same to us (?). Then again, maybe they don't. But what I do know that it'll be an awesome evening with friends, food&drinks and a jolly good time; that's what matters.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti